Welcome to Ojai Valley CERT

IMPORTANT UPDATE.....


THIS WEB-SITE HAS BEEN ARCHIVED.

PLEASE GO TO HTTP://OJAIVALLEYCERT.ORG

This blog provides information to those interested in CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) activities in The Ojai Valley, CA. CERT works in partnership with OVARC (Ojai Valley Amateur Radio Club) which provides Ham Radio Communications - http://www.ovarc.org/.

http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert is a good place to begin learning about CERT. The fact is, immediately after a major disaster, each of us will be on our own while Emergency Services Personnel (Fire, Hospital, Police, Hospitals, etc) figure out what happened and how to respond. CERT teaches valuable self-preservation skills and empowers each of us to be of service to ourselves, family, neighborhood and community. By integrating CERT with Ham Radio, citizens can effectively communicate actionable information from the field to the Emergency Operations Center -- help will be on the way sooner.

Please check out the CERT Calendar & Map at the bottom of this web-page and sign our Guestbook (top right of page).

Ojai Valley (CERT, Ham Radio, Red Cross)

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Info for new Ham Radio Licensees

Congratulations on your new

Ham Radio license!





What Radio Should I Buy?

January 27th @ 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm



This class provides the new ham with information about radios in general, with “'show ‘n tell” by experienced hams.

* Now that I have my license, what do I do with it?
* What radio should I buy?
* Can't I just wait and take it out of the box when there's an emergency?
* What's a "net"?
* How do I use the radio from the car?
* How do I use the radio from my home?
* What did all that technical stuff on the exam mean, and how much of that do I really need to know?

In advance of the class, have a look at this page, put together by the PAPA Group: http://papasys.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=45&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a.





How Do I Program My Radio? – and Other Stuff!

February 10th @ 7:00 pm – 9:30 pm



This class provides hands-on individual instruction, where experienced hams show you how to program your own radio. The class is scheduled a week after the first class, so you have time to buy or borrow a radio. Instructors will bring radios for you to practice on if you still haven't bought one. Make sure your radio battery is charged, and bring the manual in case the hams aren't familiar with your model.

* How do I turn my radio on?
* What frequency do I transmit on?
* How do I key-in a frequency?
* I just want to talk to another local ham, not on a repeater - how do we set up our radios?
* I want to talk on a repeater - what settings do I have to know how to make?
* What repeaters can I talk on?
* What's a repeater input frequency? Output frequency? Tone?
* What's "tone mode?"
* How do I get my radio to memorize stuff?
* How do I get my radio to display a repeater name rather than just the frequency?
* What do I say when I want to talk to someone? Who's call comes first?

Both classes will be held at the

Agoura Hills/Calabasas Community Center

( 27040 Malibu Hills Rd – adjacent to the Sheriff’s Station)



Please R.S.V.P. to

Debbie Larson @ (818) 224-1600 or dlarson@cityofcalabasas.com